Sunday 15th April 2012 – Phil Hardwick’s Cross Country

Usual start at Brentor. I had done a little more preparation the night before so I took the first launch in a strong crosswind from the north followed by an indecisive circuit and standard landing. But it was working! Put off by my failure (cunning plan) no one launched so I took the second cable a little better informed.

I worked hard in the valley between Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy trying to climb and pushing north up the cloud street so not to get out of range of the field. After a while I reached the giddy height of 1200 ft. only to hear Martin Cropper on the radio, “2500 feet and climbing”,

Climbing in the thermals and flying into the northerly wind up the cloud streets became the routine until I reached cloudbase at 4200 QFE by which time Martin Cropper had circumnavigated the moor several times and several other Brentor gliders were filling the sky.

Now the routine changed. When I had moved far enough upwind and reached cloudbase I jumped east to the next street and started again. A tedious process that continued for several hours and the movement over the ground seemed unrecognisable and reduced to a halt at Crediton.

After a long time of achieving nothing I decided (against my game plan) to slip downwind past the A30 to hillier ground. With dramatic effect, my best climb!, then north across the valley to the north east of Crediton. Then a slow climb (thinking to myself if I had taken a tractor I would have been there by now!) watching the distance to North Hill 15 kms and blue sky all the way. 2500ft no chance, 3000ft no, 3500ft maybe? I crossed the Exe valley to North Hill at 70 knots. MacCready may not have agreed but he doesn’t take into account wind noise and fear.

Then a large airfield ( North Hill ) and 1500ft; very inviting to a tired pilot. A little unsure of the Dunkeswell traffic I looked for height to the north west but struggled to get 2500ft. Not enough to cross back to Crediton for a return trip to Brentor,  so I called on North Hill base on 129.975, but the butler had already called them all to lunch. I landed and for the first time ever I was glad to get out of FCJ.

North Hill made me very welcome, and I enjoyed meeting new pilots and seeing their undeniably plush airfield, we must all visit and learn from their shining example.

Thank you to them and all our club members, particularly Sandra, who helped make this happen. I fear I will be winch driving and buying the beer for the foreseeable future.

Phil

No comments: